Who knew Sweet-Tarts grew on trees? Well they do, in the form of Tamarind.
I eat Tamarind Fruit when I’m looking for a special sweet treat. They taste kind of like a date, but not as intensely sweet and with a wonderful tangy flavor.
Tamarind is used a lot in South Asian cooking – tamarind paste. But, if you can find Tamarind in it’s natural pod state, it’s really worth eating. (I have found boxes of Tamarind Pods at Whole Foods and at Asian Markets.) They are a taste delight and have lots of health benefits. Keep reading for the health benefits.
Here’s how to eat Tamarind Fruit:
- Crack the pod open
- Pull off the string
- Break off a piece and eat it like a cherry, chewing around the pit, without actually eating the seed.
- It can be a bit sticky, but it’s well worth it!
Besides being a taste treat, Tamarind fruit is so good for you.
- Aids digestion – slight laxative.
- Natural remedy for bile disorders.
- Lowers cholesterol and thus, is good for your heart.
- High in Vitamin C.
- High in antioxidants.
- Good source of magnesium and potassium.
Keep your Tamarind pods in the fridge so they stay moist and fresh.
For more healthy candy check out my:
Food you can love that loves you back!
Nina Manolson, MA, CHC, LMT is the Smokin’ Hot Mom Mentor and Family Wellness Expert. She’s the founder of SmokinHotMom.com and HealthyYummyKids.com. She helps busy moms look and feel their best, and helps them feed their kids well in a world that doesn’t. To get your F.R.E.E. Audio CD by mail and receive her healthy recipes and wellness tips click here.